|The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel|
Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki
|Developer(s)||Nihon Falcom Corporation|
|Publisher(s)||Nihon Falcom Corporation|
XSEED Games (U.S)
NIS America (EU)
|Release||September 26, 2013 (JP) |
June 24, 2014 (CN, KR)
December 22, 2015 (U.S)
January 29, 2016 (EU)
|Platform(s)||Sony Playstation 3, Playstation Vita|
|Official Website (Japanese)|
Official Page (English)
From Zero to Flash
- —Title slogan
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (英雄伝説 閃の軌跡 Eiyuu Densetsu Sen no Kiseki?) is the first chapter in the Trails of Cold Steel trilogy. It takes place in Erebonia, concurrently with the events of The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki.
Trails of Cold Steel takes place in the Erebonian Empire, a military superpower located on the western edge of the continent of Zemuria. The player will spend a significant amount of time as a student at Thors Military Academy, the nation's premier service academy. As part of a special curriculum, the player will also be deployed to various locations across the Empire to conduct Field Studies.
The story concerns worsening tensions between two growing forces in the Erebonian Empire in S.1204.
One force, the Noble Faction, centralizes around the Four Great Noble Houses, which maintain tradition through provincial rule; the other, the Reformist Faction, consists of commoners and lowborn citizens led by Giliath Osbourne, the 'Blood and Iron' Chancellor.
Meanwhile, a new term begins at Thors Military Academy in Trista. First-year student Rean Schwarzer, a seventeen year-old boy from the northern region of Ymir, notices that his issued uniform is a different color, crimson, then the other students' usual white or green. He encounters eight other similarly dressed students during his walk to the orientation and becomes curious.
Following orientation, a young female instructor, Sara Valestein, calls the crimson-clad students together for a special orienteering program. The students begin the exercise and encounter monsters inside the campus' Old Schoolhouse, defeating them. Afterward, Sara explains that the crimson uniformed students had been chosen for their personal backgrounds to form a special team, Class VII, that would be given special assignments taking them across Erebonia. The students are then given the opportunity to transfer into a different class, though none except the offer, instead willing themselves to face the unknown challenges that lie ahead.
- Rean Schwarzer: The adopted son of Baron Teo Schwarzer, Rean attends Thors . He is a level-headed, albeit reserved individual, who has trained under the legendary martial master Yun Ka-fai and studied the Eight Leaves One Blade style of swordsmanship.
- Alisa Reinford: Daughter of chairwoman Irina Reinford of the Reinford Group, Alisa attends the academy as a way of distancing herself from her relationship with her mother. She is strong-willed and sometimes quick to react, but she is very caring underneath her rough exterior.
- Elliot Craig: An aspiring musician with an abashed personality, Elliot is the son of Lieutenant-General Olaf Craig ('the Red'). He is a supportive friend and dependable ally, but his tendency to appease the wishes of his loved ones can come to a fault.
- Laura S. Arseid: Daughter to viscount Victor S. Arseid, Laura has a dignified, somewhat restrained personality. She is revered by many for her strength and skill with the great sword, something she has inherited through use of the renowned Arseid Style.
- Machias Regnitz: Son of governor Carl Regnitz, he has a severe dislike for the upper-class that often leads to squabbles with others. However he is an empathic individual, and truly caring where his companions are concerned.
- Jusis Albarea: Youngest son of one of the 'Four Great Noble Houses', Jusis has a somewhat dismissive attitude toward many things. He can be criticizing or sharp in his words and actions, but is informed, considerate, and thoughtful
- Emma Millstein: An incredibly bright young woman, Emma is attending Thors on scholarship. She is kind and gentle, and often relied upon by her classmates for her warm spirit. Though quite the intellectual, she has reservations due to a secretive past.
- Fie Claussell: A former Jaeger, Fie displays an aloofness that belies unnatural physical strength and nimble reflexes that once earned her the nickname 'Sylphid'. She tends to perform poorly academically, and sometimes sleeps in unorthodox places.
- Gaius Worzel: Gaius is an exchange student from the Nord Highlands. He is mild-mannered and polite, making fast friends with most he meets. He ventures outside the confines of his homeland to become more acquainted with a world that is rapidly evolving around him.
- Millium Orion: An energetic, mysterious young girl who totes around a semi-sentient mechanical companion named Airgetlam (or Lammy for short). She is rarely discouraged from anything she sets herself to, and can be quite the handful for her friends or anyone she meets.
- Sara Valestein: Class VII's home room instructor, she is the youngest person A-rank Bracer (though you might not guess it from her personality). She is both nonchalant and determinate, and knows how to say the right things at the right time.
- Neithardt: A major in the 4th Division of the Imperial Army, and also an instructor in the military academy specialized in military science.
- Giliath Osbourne: Imperial Chancellor, this man has earned a name for himself - 'Blood and Iron'. He is a ruthless and intimidating negotiator.
- Rufus Albarea: Heir to the Albarea dukedom, he is the "poster boy" of the Noble Faction.
- Claire Rieveldt: Captain of the Railway Military Police and a striking figure, she is called the 'Icy Maiden', and has something of a history with Sara Valestein.
- Towa Herschel: A second year student at Thors Military Academy, she is president of the student council. Often overworked, she still retains a bright smile and cheery attitude.
- Angelica Rogner: Towa's best friend who is also a daughter of Marquis Rogner, one of the 'Four Great Noble Families'.
- Elise Schwarzer: The biological daughter of Baron Teo Schwarzer, she attends St. Astraia Girls' School in Heimdallr as Princess Alfin's companion. She is shy around her brother, Rean.
- Alfin Reise Arnor: Imperial Princess and darling, Alfin is an elfish, witty young girl who delights in teasing her friends and family.
- Victor S. Arseid: Laura's father, he is considered one of the best swordsmen in Erebonia, and is known as the 'Radiant Blademaster'.
- Olivert Reise Arnor: The eldest prince of Erebonia, Olivert has a penchant for singing, drinking, flirting, and just general mischief.
Sometime later after the game's release, Falcom and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia (SCEJA) made an agreement to release Sen no Kiseki in both Chinese and Korean language for the Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita, released on June 24, 2014. XSEED Games released The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel in North America physically and digitally on December 22nd, 2015.
- Playstation Award 2013, User's Choice - Winning Award
- Japan Game Awards 2013 - 1st Place
- Famitsu Award 2013 - Winning Award