I imagine you get it now, the fact that there’s are forks along this road.
- —Jusis' intro quote, Sen no Kiseki II
Jusis Albarea (ユーシス・アルバレア Yusshisu Arubarea?) is the second son of the Albarea Dukedom, one of the Four Great Houses in the Erebonian Empire. He is a member of Class VII and a playable character in the Trails of Cold Steel trilogy.
Growing up as a noble, Jusis had a hard time coming to terms with having both a noble and a commoner for parents. When he finds out that Rean had similar life circumstances as well, they both accept each other and foster a supportive relationship.
In Trails of Cold Steel, Jusis wears the standard-issue, red Class VII uniform. He prefers wearing it very casually, having the jacket completely unbuttoned with a sweater vest underneath, and paired with flannel pants and dress shoes.
In Trails of Cold Steel II, Jusis abandons his school uniform for more formal noble attire. He wears a green overcoat over a suit and combat boots. He uses the same sword that he used while at Thors Military Academy.
In combat, he brandishes a one-handed sword and assumes a fencing style combat stance.
He has a haughtiness that seems typical of nobles, but is mostly to keep up appearances rather than for ill-will. His first encounter with Machias Regnitz ended horrifically and managed to ruin his normally composed attitude. The fact that he sneers at the ridiculous nature of commoners obsessed with their hatred for nobility seems to add fuel to the fire.
To those who don't know him, he can appear to be pompous and arrogant in his conduct, frequently irritating commoners such as Machias and Paula, who believe that these traits show that he thinks he is better than them. However, this seeming lack of respect for commoners is not due to any belief that his position as a high-ranking noble makes him superior to commoners. Rather, he shows a similar frankness and impatience with other high-ranking nobles, such as Patrick Hyarms, who initially approaches Jusis to invite him to join Patrick and the other high-ranking nobles at Thors in an alliance. Jusis flat-out refuses Patrick, showing open contempt at Patrick's attempts at political maneuvering within Thors.
Much to his classmates' surprise, Jusis gets along well with children. He gives advice to two children from Bareahard, looking out for them as an older brother figure, and they show great excitement at his return.
Jusis shows a strong belief in the proper role of nobility. He believes that nobles have a responsibility to do right by their people, and he takes it upon himself to do everything he can to act like a proper noble. He is sometimes unsure what the right thing he should do as a noble is, but he shows dismay at many of his father's harsher policies as lord of the Kreuzen province, and at the increasing militarization of Kreuzen's provincial army. He refuses to stand by when he believes he has a duty to intervene on his father's more extreme actions. He seems to take a great deal of personal responsibility for the actions of his father, such as apologizing to his classmates for the Kreuzen Army's misconduct in Celdic during their field study. However, despite his misgivings about many of his father's actions, he also shows a great desire for acceptance from his father, particularly in the first game, nervously asking his father whether he would be willing to meet his classmates, and returning to his home in an effort to to improve his relationship with him.
Trails of Cold Steel I Edit
Year 1, Class VII Riding Club
The son of Duke Albarea who tends to keep others at a distance. Skilled at traditional court fencing.
- Bastard Son: Jusis' mother was a commoner, a fact that soured the relationship with his father, Duke Albarea.
- Horse Carer: He cares for horses back at home, and appears to get along well with the horses at the academy as well.
- Oil and Water: While he seems to be liked by children, he has difficulty dealing with the overly-affectionate Millium.
Trails of Cold Steel II Edit
Year I, Class VII
Bastard child of Duke Albarea. Always conducts himself with pride, which can annoy others.
- Warm Welcome: He thought he would be hated in Celdic after all the provincial army did there, but was actually welcomed warmly.
- Duke's Arrest: Feeling it's his responsibility to do so as a member of House Albarea, he arrests his father with his own hands.
- As a Noble: Believing it to be his duty as a noble, he resolves to take up the job of acting lord of Kreuzen in his father's place.
- He has learned the traditional court swordsmanship from his brother, and became very skilled in it as a result of his practice.
- As a fellow swordsman, he has an interest with other swordsmanships like in Rean’s Hachiyou Ittou-ryū and Laura’s Arseid Style.
- He joins the Jockey Club in the Academy.
- His bonding trophy in Trails of Cold Steel I is called Noblesse Oblige. In Trails of Cold Steel II, it is called House of All-bro-ea.